A Putting Tip from Bobby Locke

Continuing my attempt to make shorter posts this weekend because there's so much US Open coverage (and other golf) on TV, I offer this short quote from Gary Player's book Don't Choke: A Champion's Guide to Winning Under Pressure.

Bobby Locke turned into one of the best putters the sport has ever seen. Locke's philosophy on putting became that it is continually higher to go away a putt a bit bit short than run it past the hollow.

It is completely opposite to what you constantly listen. As golfers, we are taught from an early age to in no way go away a putt short. Sayings consisting of "Never up, in no way in" or "The hole may not come to you" are drilled into us. It's almost as though it is shameful to depart a putt short of the hole. But I've in no way visible one which goes past the hole pass in either. And frankly, I'd as a substitute be some inches brief of the hole than 3 toes past it.

Locke's reasoning was that in case you hit a putt at simply the proper pace, it could drop in anywhere within the front of the hole, at the aspect or maybe on the back. But in case you hit a putt hard, there's best one place it may cross in, and that's within the middle of the hole.

Throughout my career I've discovered that for every putt you charge at the hole, you sink ten putts with the right speed. (p110) As Gary Player says, this goes against what we're taught. And to be honest, it's embarrassing and heartbreaking when you leave the ball just on the lip. But unless you're willing to take the risk, you may never learn to putt consistently.

This philosophy is how I want to putt also. Still, I'm inclined to admit there are instances when a "stronger" putt appears reasonable. On event, stroking the ball a chunk tougher to take out some of the spoil may also make feel. But simply remember that the sort of play is risky and might cost you extra photographs than you would have misplaced in case you had just standard a two-putt. Locke's philosophy is the nice play, most of the time.

If you are interested in looking on the book, here's a hyperlink to its web page at Amazon. And no, I don't profit from any sales. However, there is an older version for sale as nicely, and this link takes you to the new edition. The new edition is the one I used for this put up.

0 comments