Winner: Tiger Woods
Around the wider world of golf: For obvious reasons, the men focused on THE PLAYERS... but the women were busy. In the only other men's event I know of, Ryu Hyun-woo won the Maekyung Open Championship on the OneAsia Tour. Among the women, Yumika Adachi won the Yumeya Dream Cup on the LAGT; Lee-Anne Pace won the Turkish Airlines Ladies Open on the LET; and Laura Kueny won the Symetra Classic on the Symetra Tour.
Uh... Possibly it is time to neglect that complete "is Tiger returned?" debate.
I'll grant you that he hasn't won major #15 yet. But I've said before -- I can't remember what post it was in -- that I thought we hadn't seen the best of Tiger yet, that I thought he was going to have a stretch of play that was even better than the stretch in 2000-2001. This week he made me look like a psychic. (Not psycho. Please don't confuse the two.) Heck, even critics like Brandel Chamblee seemed impressed.
TPC Sawgrass has run roughshod over Tiger in the past, but not this week. He beat the heck out of the par5s, going -12 on them. He was under par on the par4s and par3s as well, something he never does there. His 36-hole total was 6 shots better than ever before.
He confirmed up with the capacity to attract or fade the ball at will, rather than just having a fade. I think that is what blew Chamblee away the most. The GC crew as an entire wondered what Tiger have been working on to make any such big bounce forward because the Masters. His brief recreation appeared crisp and his neglected putts had been left nearly useless to the hollow.
This became his 4th win in 7 begins, the quickest he's ever gotten that many wins in a season. (His preceding best turned into four in 10 starts offevolved, at some stage in his nine-win season again in 2000. I marvel what may occur this 12 months?) In reality, he is were given 7 wins in his last 22 starts. And what did he say while he became asked what had occurred to him? He simply smiled and said, "I'm getting better."
Is the field getting a bit nervous yet? To paraphrase Yoda, they should be. They should be.
So this week's Limerick Summary salutes that washed-up guy who was the sort of exact participant. I marvel whatever came about to him?
It?S getting ridiculous. Did you understand
He?S received 4 out of 7, with months to head?
Skeptics, questioning him accomplished,
Have been totally taken aback
By this version we call Tiger two-point-oh! The photo came from the tournament page at PGATOUR.com.
0 comments