Today, the Rant!

Yesterday I "staged" a couple of rigged Ryder Cups, the use of the scorecards from the real event, to try to prove that BOGEYS, now not a defective gadget, are at the basis of the United States Ryder Cup team's problems. I assume I succeeded.

And some weeks lower back I did a post explaining why I think the European Ryder Cup team is more potent than it appears on paper.

So today I'm prepared to rant!

Paul Azinger

I suppose what irritates me the maximum approximately this whole debate is the overpowering notion that this problem is caused by magic and might therefore be solved by using magic.

  • The Euros don't win because they play better; they win because they have a better system (or template or whatever they want to call it).
  • The US team doesn't lose because they play badly; they lose because they don't have an effective system (or template or whatever).
I'm irritated because these are professionals surrounded by mental coaches and swing gurus and club technicians and personal trainers, among other highly-skilled advisors, with the funding of huge corporate sponsorships that allows them to spend as much time practicing the game as they wish... and yet apparently this STILL isn't enough to enable them to go out and hit a little golf ball into the fairway, onto the green, and into the hole during a Ryder Cup.

I agree that the US facet absolutely seems to be disfunctional on a scale I could have in no way imagined, particularly given all it is took place inside the aftermath of the event. It's clear that they want some help.

But these same players frequently claim that they "find sanctuary inside the ropes" and that "just playing golf" allows them to deal with all manner of life-threatening circumstances. I didn't realize that an inefficient power structure was SO impossible to deal with! I guess it's a good thing they don't have to work regular jobs like normal people, huh? Imagine what a month trying to function in a corporate workplace would do to them!

Don't get me wrong -- I still suppose we've got some of the finest gamers in the world and I love to watch them play. But I'm tremendously dissatisfied to look them squabble like spoiled children when a great Captain could not have gained with the rankings they published last week.

PGATOUR.Com published a quick precis of the controversy, at the side of some potential names for the subsequent Captain. Of course, the campaigning for Paul Azinger's return has already began. No doubt Fred Couples will also be in the jogging, given his fulfillment as Presidents Cup Captain. And both of them could be true selections.

But except they are able to discover a lot extra gamers like Patrick Reed -- you already know, gamers who seemingly don't give a rattling who is in rate and don't use it as an excuse for bad play in any case -- or sneak in a few technologically-superior pinseeking golf balls that find their own manner into the hollow no matter who hits them, I don't see any answers on the horizon.

Solve the real problem -- TOO MANY BOGEYS -- and the symptoms will likely take care of themselves. At least that's what I think.

End of rant.

0 comments