A Legend's Passing

I know I'm no longer the great character to do a publish approximately Charlie Sifford -- even though I'm in my late 50s, I'm nonetheless now not antique sufficient to have visible him play in his high -- but I can't let him pass unmentioned.

The best way I know to salute his passing is simply to say: I just thought he was cool.

Charlie Sifford in his prime

When Sifford became the primary black man to play the PGA Tour after the "Caucasians-only" clause within the PGA of America's constitution became overturned manner again in 1961, I turned into only three years old.

I live in North Carolina, simply more than one hours north of Charlotte in which he turned into born and just about a 1/2-hour from Greensboro where a number of the primary equality protests befell around the same time. I become lucky to develop up in a domestic where coloration became never an issue and, while NC schools incorporated in 1970 -- when I entered junior high school -- I went to a school in a black neighborhood in which absolutely everyone kids got alongside and have been proud to say that we did. While I knew that bad things like those Charlie Sifford persevered befell, I can truly say that I in no way noticed anything like that firsthand.

When I first heard approximately Charlie Sifford -- after I first severely got into golf -- he had already been at the Champions Tour for a few years. I nevertheless bear in mind seeing him puffing on that ubiquitous cigar of his and questioning that he became a person who did not care what others thought. (And I mean that in an excellent manner. By that time there was already some backlash in opposition to people who smoke.) When I discovered what he had long gone thru just to play the game, I understood. He carried himself like a person who knew who he became.

It's tough sufficient to make it to ninety two whilst your life is straightforward. Charlie Sifford earned every yr of his. I'm just satisfied he made it long enough to get the Presidential Medal of Freedom and realize how a great deal he intended to us -- blacks and whites alike. Rest in peace, Charlie.

The photo got here from this PGA.Com put up.

0 comments