So Much for My Major Picks This Week!

It seems like that is going to be one of those unpredictable majors. The ANA Inspiration might be giving its new sponsors the whole lot they may have requested for... Because nobody ought to have anticipated this!

Sei Young Kim

If you had bet me that Cristie Kerr might move 27 holes with out a single birdie, I would have taken that wager. If you had chosen Sei Young Kim as the 36-hollow chief -- even though she gained in advance this 12 months -- I would have notion you were taking without a doubt long odds.

As it stands, Kim leads at -7, Morgan Pressel (winless for numerous years) is solo 2nd at -5, and 3 gamers -- Brittany Lincicome, Jenny Shin, and Catriona Matthew -- are T3 at -four.

Stacy Lewis and Lexi Thompson, both of whom I concept would possibly play nicely however could not win, at -three are without difficulty ahead of ALL of my alternatives:

  • Cristie Kerr did finally make some birdies on her back 9 Friday to finish at +1 (T42).
  • Hyo Joo Kim is also at +1 (T42).
  • Inbee Park sits at -1 (T22).
  • One of my fliers, rookie Alison Lee, is doing the best at -2 (T13).
  • And my other flier, Se Ri Pak, shocked me by missing the cut with a +5 score.
Lydia Ko sits at even par, her under-par streak broken at 29 and leaving her tied with Annika's record. But apparently my assessment of her being tired was accurate. Judy Rankin mentioned some unusually noticeable head dipping during her backswing that coach David Leadbetter said typically happened when she got tired. And Michelle Wie narrowly made the cut at +2, so perhaps she's still feeling the effects of several weeks of poor health.

But now, with excellent weather on the docket for the weekend and the route drying out quickly, the winners are even more in doubt. While the high rough will choose the extra accurate (and regularly shorter) hitters like Kim, Shin, Pressel and Matthew, the difficult veggies can be greater reachable to the extra powerful high ball hitters.

An interesting note: Pressel seems to be hitting the ball higher than she used to... and she won this event once before, as have Lincicome, Lewis and Thompson. It looks like it may come down to a putting contest after all, and all of these players tend to be streaky.

But I think Sei Young Kim has to be the favorite now. You see, she won the 2015 Pure Silk Bahamas LPGA Classic -- her only LPGA win -- in a playoff, as well as four of her five KLPGA Tour victories. Do you understand? She's only got 6 pro wins, and she won 5 of them in playoffs. That should make the rest of the field a bit nervous.

I do not think I'll be taking any more bets on this essential although. It's just too hard on my wallet!

0 comments