Laura Davies Is Still in the Hunt

At age fifty one Dame Laura Davies nevertheless has a pretty correct sport -- properly enough to keep her in the mix at the Mizuno Classic in Japan. Unfortunately it is no longer being televised right here in America (despite the fact that I may not be surprised if GC comes to a decision to show highlights subsequent Tuesday or Wednesday).

Laura Davies and caddie

At the time I'm penning this, Laura is simply over halfway through her second round and he or she's tied for the lead with Ilhee Lee, plus she's leading a few names greater familiar to American LPGA fanatics like Jessica Korda, Chella Choi, and Morgan Pressel (who led after the first spherical).

After the primary round she told LPGA.Com:

?I?M playing nicely. I?M searching forward to the last days and if I putt properly then I trust I even have a risk to win. If I don?T putt well I haven't any risk due to the fact, like I said, years in the past the players weren?T as strong but now they?Re so right that you have to have every part of your recreation going to have a hazard. If I can keep this going I actually have a risk.?
She also said:

?I nonetheless suppose I?M properly sufficient. I nevertheless assume I can win tournaments and even as I nevertheless assume I can win I?M nonetheless going to play. The only component preserving me back is setting and that?S what I trust and that?S why I keep going. The fact that I?M fifty one is inappropriate absolutely. If you could stroll you could play golfing that's exceptional.?
It's really hard not to like Laura Davies. She's always been a fun player to watch -- as Charley Hull once said, Laura just hits it, finds it, and hits it again. For those of you who don't remember, back when they played the J.C. Penney team event she used to team up with John Daly and the two would just blast away at the course. Needless to say, they were a favorite team with the fans!

At this factor in her profession, she most effective wishes 2 more points to qualify for the LPGA's point-based Hall of Fame. (As you recognize, she'll be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame next year.) That's two regular activities or one primary; a win at Mizuno might get her midway there.

She also needs a 3rd-area finish to advantage a gap inside the LPGA's 12 months-stop CME Group Tour Championship. It seems like she's got an awesome threat; the situations have been tough (lots of wind) but she's treated it well so far.

Maybe this will be a leap forward week for Laura. She's persisted to win round the sector; I for one would like to look her win on the LPGA Tour again.

0 comments