Still in Hawaii

The first complete discipline PGA Tour event of 2019 is the Sony Open, held this week on the Waialae Country Club on the island of Oahu.

Defending champ Patton Kizzire

Waialae isn't always specially long, an insignificant par-70 measuring 7044 yards. But it's acknowledged for its winds and for often becoming a setting contest. For instance, Patton Kizzire received remaining year with a birdie barrage in his playoff with James Hahn, and who could overlook Justin Thomas posting a fifty nine the year before? And given that this is the handiest home the Sony Open has ever had, we can be quite certain that past performances are something of a guideline in deciding on favorites.

So, emboldened by way of excellent fortune (and no small amount of foolhardy self assurance) when I picked Xander Schauffele to win closing week, I'm going to tempt fate and strive again this week. For those of you who are seeking out help, possibly for a fantasy crew, the Tour published their very own strength rankings at this link. As with closing week, although I'll pick a winner, I'll also pick a 2d participant who I think must finish nicely and could even win.

My pick to win is quite simple. Since the Sony Open winner generally putts extremely well and the exceptional putter in Hawaii ultimate week changed into Bryson DeChambeau, I like his possibilities to put up a great showing this week. Despite all of the wind at Kapalua, Bryson shot par or better every spherical; if he can keep up the good paintings at the veggies, I like his probabilities.

And I'm going to pick Charles Howell III to put up another strong tournament. Why do I say another? Because he has two seconds, two thirds and two fourths in 17 trips. When you add in the confidence he must have after his win at the RSM Classic late in 2018 and his T14 at Kapalua last week -- that's not a course I would expect him to play well at -- I think this is an opportunity for him. He just needs a good putting week to match up with his ballstriking.

Because of the time difference, we've got prime time golf again this week. GC's live coverage is listed to start at 7pm ET on Thursday night , and I suspect the Pre-Game Show will start perhaps an hour earlier. With Spieth back in action, as well as Vijay Singh, this could be a very entertaining tournament.

0 comments