Well, the Coastline's Kinda Crooked...

There had been numerous suitable tales at the PGA Championship on Thursday:

  • Adam Scott's rebound from the Open disaster and the rust of his first rounds back at Firestone. Although I wasn't surprised by it, I'm beginning to think that I'm the only person who wasn't. Apparently Adam is unusual in that he doesn't get his self-worth from his golf score.
  • Tiger's good play. Granted, he didn't burn up the course but he didn't shoot himself in the foot either. He putted well, which was what I was concerned about coming in.
  • The 62 watch surrounding Joost Luiten. (That's pronounced YOAST -- like toast -- LOUten -- like loud -- in case you missed it.) He finally fell back as the wind came up, but it was pretty interesting while it lasted.
  • Carl Pettersson leading. While I'm interested because I consider Carl another North Carolina boy like me, it looks like the story is another long putter in contention at a major.
We might even add the changing weather, since it looks like things will get pretty interesting today.

But I think the big story needs to be John Daly's play. We noticed flashes of the fellow who received the 1991 PGA at Crooked Stick. Yeah, I are aware of it turned into best the first round and JD might implode by Sunday, but he's been playing actually well this 12 months. I think there is lots to love about his latest resurgence.

In precise, I just like the reality that he performed so much in Europe early this yr. I've evolved a theory that possibly playing a lot in Europe (and the relaxation of the world) is the key to transferring up the OWGR. It's not approximately gaming the points available at the various tournaments, however having to play on so many specific grasses and in such a lot of distinctive sorts of situations.

Just take a look at how many players currently win consistently on both sides of the Atlantic and you'll find only one: Luke Donald. Is it a coincidence that he's also #1 in the OWGR? I think not. And even without wins, it appears that the players most consistently in the top 3 or 4 places are playing a fair amount on both sides of the pond.

Likewise, Ben Curtis re-emerged at the PGA Tour after a extended duration gambling remote places earlier this yr. And now JD, who is additionally been gambling on each sides of the Atlantic, has located himself in competition in a primary once more. Again I ask: Is this a coincidence?

And once more, I have to mention I think no longer.

At any price, I'll be watching JD this week to see how he does. He's nearly as thrilling because the Olympics.

BTW, here's the replace on my "five to Watch" after the primary spherical:

  • Keegan Bradley: T6 (-4)
  • Louis Oosthuizen: T25 (-2)
  • Thorbjorn Olesen: T106 (+3)
  • Luke Donald: T88 (+2)
  • Rory McIlroy: T2 (-5)
Luke and the Thunder Bear are below the cutline. If the weather comes in and they can just hold on, they still might make it to the weekend.

0 komentar