The Limerick Summary: 2014 Alfred Dunhill Links Championship

Winner: Oliver Wilson

Around the wider world of golf: Steve Lewton won the Mercuries Taiwan Masters on the Asian Tour; Nicholas Lindheim won the Arturo Calle Colombian Classic on the PGA TOUR Latinoamérica; Azahara Munoz won the Lacoste Ladies Open de France on the LET; Teresa Lu won the Japan Women's Open on the JLPGA (the Constructivist has details); and Mirim Lee won the Reignwood LPGA Classic on the LPGA, her second win of her rookie season (the Constructivist has details on this one too -- he must have stayed up all night!). [UPDATE: I forgot to include Jay Woodson's win at the Big Break Invitiational!]

Wilson with trophy on Swilcan Bridge

It's nevertheless every week until the new PGA Tour season starts. Who should get the coveted Limerick Summary this week?

I significantly considered Mirim Lee. Her LPGA win in China become her 2d of her rookie season... But she nevertheless trails Lydia Ko through a significant quantity in the Rookie of the Year race. I realize Lydia is technically a rookie, but it just irks me that Mirim -- who has long gone from no wins to 2 wins in her seasoned profession -- not handiest isn't main the race, it isn't always genuinely even near. It simply wasn't a happy enough tale for me to immortalize in verse.

But Oliver Wilson's victory at the Dunhill Links -- wow, now there's a story! Wilson had become one of those guys we call a journeyman. Though he played fairly well early in his career, he's never won and he's struggled just to stay on tour -- in fact, he's only on their Challenge Tour and I think he's in danger of losing his card there. (He started the week outside the top 100 on the Challenge Tour and he was 792nd in the OWGR.) He was in this week on a sponsor's exemption.

And all he does is tie the route report at Carnoustie on Thursday, then beat the likes of Rory McIlroy and Louis Oosthuizen at St. Andrews on Sunday. Ho hum, just another week at the links.

He informed the media (quoted from the web page wherein I found the picture):

?I don?T have words for it. It?S been ten years, eleven years coming. There had been nine runners-up and I hadn?T finished an entire lot to lose the ones, but nothing had simply long past my manner and this week, to accept a massive opportunity through Dunhill to play ? I can?T thank them sufficient to present me an possibility to do this ? I bet it?S what golfing?S all about."
But I think this is my favorite quote:

?I will be drunk for a while ? I?Ve had a number of champagne on ice over the years!?
Well, Oliver, if you can still see clearly enough to read after all that champagne, I've got a Limerick Summary for you -- your first one of these as well:

Well, appearance who stepped up to beat Rory!

No, it?S no longer overblown oratory?

Ollie?S coronary heart should be thumping!

To the Big Tour he?S leaping

While basking in “got my card” glory! The photo came from this page at europeantour.com.

0 comments