A Collection of Thoughts and Shoutouts

I had a number of odds and ends that I wanted to mention, but none of them truly wished an entire post. So I figured why now not put them all in one put up?

You can also have heard that the PGA Tour gave out its annual awards on Wednesday for the Player of the Year (this is the Jack Nicklaus Award) and the Rookie of the Year (which, to my know-how, isn't always named after any player).

To no one's surprise, Rory McIlroy won the POY -- and the Arnold Palmer Award for the money title, and the Byron Nelson Award for adjusted scoring average. Look, when a guy wins two majors and a WGC (in 3 straight weeks, no less) to take back #1 in the OWGR in addition to all his other accomplishments this year, you just step back and say, "Well done, young fella!"

And Chesson Hadley won the Rookie of the Year Award by, among other things, winning the Puerto Rico Open and being the only rookie to make it into the FedExCup Playoffs (he made it to the BMW Championship, just short of the Tour Championship, and finished 49th in the FedExCup rankings.) Again, not too shabby!

In yesterday's rant about the Ryder Cup, I meant to add a simple suggestion that I think would help the US players immensely. That simple suggestion is that the Americans play a few more European Tour events during the year. Although Gleneagles wasn't a typical European course, McGinley specifically said he set it up to play like a typical ET event. As we all know, Phil Mickelson -- who admittedly can be a bit stubborn -- said after winning the 2013 Scottish Open and Open Championship that it had taken him 10 years to learn to play links golf. I think this is part of the problem.

European golfing requires greater abilities -- more types of shots -- than American golf, competencies which the Euros are the usage of to splendid impact in Ryder Cups on each aspects of the Atlantic. (I pointed out this at period in a publish approximately the OWGR.) Clearly the Americans aren't learning those over here so I propose they pick out up some events over there, even if it method skipping a few PGA Tour events. That inspiration might not be famous with the sponsors, however the US players should do something to degree the gambling field. This can be the easiest manner.

Finally, I got a pleasant surprise in my email the other day. You may remember that I did a Limerick Summary for the Symetra Tour Championship a couple of weeks back. That tournament was won by Norwegian player Marita Engzelius , and it jumped her all the way to the LPGA Q-School Finals.

Well, Marita has become the first player on any tour to actually thank me for composing a Limerick Summary for them. And yes, I was touched that she took the time to do it.

Marita Engzelius

In reality, Marita and her brother took their very own shot at writing a limerick for me!

Three fierce contenders in a playoff duel

With birdies in sight, and adrenalin as fuel

One would eagle, the ultimate kick

Even earn herself a Mike's Limerick

But missing her card, she will be back for the sequel

I thanked her and told her I expected to see her next year on the LPGA. Help me wish her good luck at Q-School this December! You can tweet her at @MaritaEngzelius .

0 comments