Johnny Miller on Trevino's Signature Move (Video)

Yes, I'm on a "tip trip" this week because I don't have any other topic that has grabbed me. So today I'm posting an old Golfweek video featuring Johnny Miller talking about Lee Trevino's signature move.

Miller says that what made Trevino's swing particular became the manner he "chased" the clubhead down his aimline, preserving the clubface transferring towards his target longer than maximum gamers.

But what I want to focus on is how Trevino finished his shots, because it can help you hit a low-trajectory fade. For many of you, this is the "go-to" shot you're looking for when you need help hitting the fairway. Johnny demonstrates this around the 2:00 minute mark in the video.

The secret is that, when he finishes his shot, he has shortened the swing slightly and the shaft is leaning toward his target line, nearly parallel to his spine. That's a easy concept and, although it may take you a piece of practice to grasp, it may be a completely useful cross-to shot whilst the touchdown place is tight.

This isn't always the type of shot you'll hit a terrific long distance. Go-to photographs rarely are. But this is something you may hit with any club inside the bag, from almost any lie, and get a playable end result. Having a shot like that in your repertoire is a brilliant approach flow that may really prevent a few strokes.

0 comments