Twofer Tuesday: WGC-Mexico

Twofer Tuesday wheezes its manner as much as Mexico City and the Club de Golf Chapultepec for the WGC-Mexico Championship.

Defending champion Dustin Johnson

At almost 8000 feet above sea stage the Club de Golf Chapultepec plays a great deal shorter than its capability scorecard length of 7355 yards. Long hitters don't have any actual gain over the shorter, more accurate hitters, which can make for some interesting finishes on Sunday.

Although defending champion Dustin Johnson is within the field and he appears to be gambling pretty well, I'm nevertheless a piece concerned how his knee will maintain up on a hilly Mexico City route. So I'll need to keep in mind my alternatives cautiously.

  • My first Top10er is a no-brainer: Rory McIlroy. Coming off a bad Sunday at Riviera, I still think he'll be in the right frame of mind this week, as he managed a runner-up behind DJ last year. He's got good memories in Mexico City and I think they'll come to the fore this week. Besides, as nice as a Genesis title would have been, winning a WGC with Brooks in the field to solidify his #1 World Ranking would be extra sweet for Rory.
But who else should I take -- a chalk pick or someone deep in the field? I've really fought with this one, because Club de Golf Chapultepec is a course that can make the best players look like fools if they don't take it seriously...

  • I've decided to take Adam Scott as my other Top10er. In many ways this is a counter-intuitive pick. Adam is coming off a hard-fought win at Riviera, one that could leave him with an emotional letdown after the high. But I also find myself wondering if lightning can strike three times, as Adam has won both of his last worldwide starts. Granted, they were two months apart... but I'm going with the hot hand. If he continues to drive and iron the ball as he has lately, he could easily pick up this WGC.
GC's live coverage starts offevolved Thursday at 2pm ET. Can Adam Scott make it three in a row? Can Rory get the job done this week? Will one of the new players on Tour get a breakthrough win? I don't know... but I feel something special is in the cards this week.

0 comments