Twofer Tuesday: The Greenbrier

After a two week hiatus the PGA Tour is back. Although this event has been formally renamed "A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier," I'm going with the shorter identify and trusting you may all recall the army tie-in.

Defending champion Kevin Na

The Greenbrier sat out remaining season so it could assume its new position because the first occasion of the PGA Tour wraparound season. Physically it remains a luxurious resort placed inside the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia. It's an area that the various Tour pros have moved to, and it is one of the stops where households have lots to do whilst Dad whacks the vintage dimpled ball around.

The Old White TPC is the best Tour direction with a par-3 completing hollow. At 7292 yards and a par of 70 -- and that excellent mountain scenery -- it is a reasonably challenging start to a protracted season, one that frequently gives us wonder winners. (And from time to time, very low scores.) Kevin Na is the defending champion.

As the first occasion of the brand new PGA Tour season, there are some of newly-minted pros teeing it up after graduating from the Korn Ferry Tour. And I'm trying to them this week, in hopes that they will trade the fortunes of my Twofer Tuesday alternatives.

  • My Top10er is Viktor Hovland. After ensuring his card at the Korn Ferry Finals, he skipped the final event to prepare for this start. I've had high hopes for Viktor since he turned pro -- some of you will remember that I picked him to win at the Deere -- and I haven't lost my enthusiasm for his future. However, I think he may (like Justin Thomas) take a bit longer to hit his stride and get his first win. That doesn't mean he can't chalk up his first Top10 as a Tour member though.
  • And my winner is Tom Lewis. The 28-year-old Englishman took a flier at getting his Tour card at the Korn Ferry Tour Championship... and promptly won his only Korn Ferry start to lock up a card. Perhaps he'll suffer the letdown so many players seem to experience after a first win but I'm willing to take a flier myself and pick him to win his first start as a carded PGA Tour player.
GC's insurance starts Thursday at 2pm ET, with the PGA TOUR LIVE stream beginning at 7am ET.

0 comments