Twofer Tuesday: The CJ Cup

Today Twofer Tuesday sprints across the pond -- WAAAAY across the pond -- to South Korea for the CJ Cup @ Nine Bridges.

Defending champion Brooks Koepka

Nine Bridges is a par-72 direction playing near 7250 yards, which doesn't sound all that lengthy however it plays hard when the winds blow. The CJ Cup sports a restricted discipline of seventy eight gamers and is the first of three such activities in Asia (South Korea, Japan and China). The area is a mix of PGA Tour, KPGA Tour and Asian Tour players.

Brooks Koepka is the defending champion and he's within the area this week, as is the 2017 champion Justin Thomas.

My Twofer Tuesday picks were hit-and-leave out to date in this wraparound season, and I'm looking to enhance my luck this week. Unfortunately, the gamers haven't shared my enthusiasm currently, so I'm simply taking my probabilities and hoping the men display up.

  • My Top10er is Viktor Hovland. The rookie is still looking for his first win and, although I don't expect him to get it this week, I do expect him to continue his string of good play. He doesn't seem to care how tough the field is or that he hasn't played the courses before. I like that about Hovland and I feel good about his chances this week.
  • And my winner is Justin Thomas. As I said earlier, he has won this event before. Likewise, his recent play has been extremely strong since he came back from his injuries earlier this year. I think he may be ready to win again.
My only regret this week is that Bernd Wiesberger isn't in the field. (Apparently he's taking the week off to celebrate.) I realize that winning back-to-back is tough, but he's been playing at an extremely high level these past few months and I think a limited field might have played into his hands.

Because of the time difference between the US and South Korea, GC's live coverage begins tonight (Wednesday) at 10pm ET. So it's almost prime time golf again this week. At least I'll get to watch most of it before going to bed!

0 comments